So you have a closet full of clothes – but nothing to wear. The problem may not be that you don’t have enough – it’s likely you have too many items to pick from.
That’s where a capsule wardrobe comes in. Instead of having a closet that’s bursting with a bunch of clothing items you never wear, you’ll have a closet that contains fewer items – but all things that can be easily mixed and matched to create an outfit for any occasion.
To get started, you’ll need to pick up a few basics. Build your capsule wardrobe around these 11 key pieces:
1. Blazer – Find one with a relaxed fit that hits below the hip. This is a great piece to add a bit of color to your closet. Think a bold red, hot pink or cobalt blue.
2. High-waist, wide-leg trousers – Black or charcoal are your best bets. You want a material that has a bit of body but not so much that it will add extra pounds to your frame. Lightweight wool is ideal.
3. Skinny leg jeans – A basic every woman should have in her closet. Look for a dark wash that can be dressed up or down.
4. Bias-cut midi skirt – Have a little fun with this piece. Leopard print anyone?
5. Lightweight cardigan – Perfect on its own or as a light layer to throw on in chilly offices.
6. White t-shirt – There are so many options to choose from – loose fit, tight, long and lean, cropped … and much more. But our favorite is a relaxed fit that hits at the hip. A classic that stands the test of time and never goes out of style.
7. Fine rib turtleneck – Look for a silk or cashmere blend. It should have a slim fit and be long enough to tuck into pants and skirts.
8. Black bodysuit – Heat things up by picking one with a deep cut v in the front or a dip in the back.
9. Black leather pumps – Keep it classic with a pointed toe and a skinny heel.
10. White sneakers – Your go-with-everything shoe. Pairs well with everything from jeans to skirts to dresses.
11. Aviator sunglasses – the ultimate cool-girl accessory. They never go out of style and somehow manage to look good on every face shape.
Here are some ways you can use these pieces as the starting point for a perfect outfit for every occasion:
• Day in the office: high-waist, wide leg trousers + fine rib turtleneck + white sneakers
• Brunch with your girlfriends: bias cut skirt + lightweight cardigan + white sneakers
• Date night: skinny leg jeans + black bodysuit + black leather pumps
Ready to create your own capsule wardrobe? Find great basics at fantastic prices at a Goodwill store location near you.