Yes, another mason jar DIY idea. There doesn’t seem to be an end to what you can do with canning jars! Goodwill always has a steady supply, so they make inexpensive gifts. If you need a last minute idea, or forgot about the kids’ teachers, this decorated jar will only take a few minutes and the kids can help.
I made snowman, but you could do a Santa, reindeer, angels, trees or….
Besides mason jars, you will need:
- Felt in black, red and orange
- Red chenille stems
- Craft glue and glue gun
I cut out “coal” pieces for eyes and mouth from the black felt. They should be odd shaped and uneven.
(Do children even know what coal is? Heating with coal was even before my time!)
The carrot nose is triangle of orange felt.
Glue all pieces to the jar with craft glue. Allow to dry.
Trace a circle of red felt using the lid as a pattern and glue in place with craft glue.
Make ear muffs from a chenille stem and pom-poms. I used hot glue to attach both. It dries faster than craft glue. But craft glue will work, too.
That’s it! Fill with candy, a dry cookie mix or powdered hot cocoa. Be sure to attach a tag with the directions so the recipient knows what to do.
I think this pancake recipe would be something different, especially for the men in your life. I found it on the Taste of Home website. It’s perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast!
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Pancake mix (above)
- 1 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 cups (4 batches of pancakes).
- To make pancakes: Beat eggs in a small bowl. Gradually beat in oil. Add mix alternately with water; mix well. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle on medium-low heat; turn after 2 minutes. Cook until second side is browned. Yield: 10 pancakes per batch.