We've already seen some triple digit temperatures this summer, but August is known for them! At Goodwill, we're always striving to provide our customers with quality and value - while we love that you'll stay cool while you shop any of our stores, here are a few tips to stay cool while you're away:
- In the morning, close up your blinds and curtains so that the house stays dark. Not allowing in too much sunlight will keep the temperature down.
- Have a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to set it at different temperatures throughout the day, rather than one constant temperature. Set yours to 79 degree F. when you're home, and 82-85 degrees F. when you're away.
- Wear light-weight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Limit sun exposure during the hottest hours of the day: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- If you're exercising or working, drink 2-4 glasses of water per hour. If you're losing a lot of fluid through sweat, switch to sports drinks to help replenish sodium.
- Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink water, by the time you feel thirst you could already be dehydrated.
- Opt for cotton clothing, as this breathes easier and will keep you cooler than synthetics.
- Store lotions in the refrigerator, and use when you're feeling warm or overtired.