For one day this spring, donating clothes will be even easier thanks to an innovative partnership between Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago, and the popular on-demand transportation platform, Uber. On Saturday, May 2, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. donors can open the Uber app on their cell phone or mobile device and request a pickup for their donations to be delivered by an Uber driver directly to their local Goodwill, free of charge.
Here’s how it works:
1.) Throughout the month of April, people around the country who are spring cleaning will bag up jackets, shirts, pants, blouses and other clothing items to donate to Goodwill.
2.) On Saturday, May 2, donors will open the Uber app and be able to select the GIVE option on the bottom of the screen.
3.) An Uber SUV will arrive to pickup clothing bags, and the driver will drop-off the donations to the following Goodwill Store & Donation Centers:
- Bayview: 153 W. Oklahoma Ave.
- Brookfield: 18605 W. Bluemound Rd.
- Milwaukee: 2830 N. Oakland
- Chicago: 1201 W. Washington Blvd.
- Wilmette: 923 Ridge Rd.
- Downers Grove: 110 Ogden Ave.
- All clothing must be bagged for drivers to accept donations.
- Drivers will arrive at requested pickup locations. Donors are responsible for bringing bags outside, as drivers cannot leave their vehicles unattended.
- For those who have already completed their spring cleaning and donations, or live in areas where Uber isn’t available, monetary donations can be made to Goodwill at http://give.goodwill.org
With Goodwill and Uber coming directly to donors, it’s the perfect opportunity for people to clean out their closets and give as much as they can, while ensuring their clothing can be reused and contributing to a good cause.
Uber is a technology platform that is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our apps, we make cities more accessible, opening up more possibilities for riders and more business for drivers. From our founding in 2009 to our launches in over 300 cities today, Uber's rapidly expanding global presence continues to bring people and their cities closer. Follow us on Twitter: @Uber and find us on Facebook: Uber.