The holidays are here, which means our favorite winter clothing staple is back in action - the crazy holiday sweater. Ready to impress at your work's holiday party? Goodwill's got your back!
Why do people love these "unique-looking" sweaters? In many ways they are more of a novelty item than fashion staple, but they’ve found a new niche to reside comfortably in. The ugly Christmas sweater party!
These celebrations have taken the world by storm, where partygoers both poke fun and marvel at these funky designs. Let's face it, these colorful calamities are just plain fun and we're here to take your crazy sweater game to the next level.
At the Goodwill Retail Store and Donation Center near you, these cheerfully crazy sweaters have made their annual appearance once again, so now is the time to find the gaudiest, or just the perfect one that will win the “ugly sweater contest” at the next holiday party you’re invited to!
By giving a second chance to an otherwise “tacky” Christmas sweater, you’ll be reusing it in the best of ways. Why go for classy, when you can show up at virtually any Christmas party you’re invited to and command all the attention in the room! Besides, there won’t be any reason to purchase any other “holiday” attire since you will be just like a walking illustration of the “Spirit of Christmas Recycling!”
Tips for Holiday Sweater Wearers!
1. Accessorize to impress! Try pairing your eyesore sweater with a festive accessory like antlers, or maybe a light up Santa Claus pin!
2. Too much color is never too much! Don’t worry about matching anything to anything, because no one will be able to take his or her eyes off of all that is going on with your sweater!
3. Remember that size doesn’t really matter, as long as the color and pattern are bright enough no one will notice if it doesn’t fit!
4. Office party appropriate sweaters would be a little more on the conservative side, so go with a cardigan or something that has less embellishment.
5. On the other hand a bar crawl, or a crazy club Christmas party would require you to pull out all the stops and go for all the bells and whistles, literally.
6. DIY Holiday Sweaters! Some people even attach Christmas decorations that they’ve found at the Goodwill store to their own sweaters with hot glue, safety pins, or hand sewing to make unique, and definitely one of a kind holiday looks!
7. Flashing lights, jingle bells, snowmen and the like, are all fair game when it comes to glittery yuletide garb, so make sure to have fresh batteries installed before going to the party!
8. With some planning and creativity, old fabric, and other materials can be used to “recycle” even the plainest sweater into a merry yuletide masterpiece!
9. If you happen to find a holiday cardigan, wear something like a button-down shirt with a bright Christmas tie as a counterpoint to it underneath.
10. No matter what you do with your Christmas sweater, the genius of it all is that there is no right or wrong way to do it!
So, whether you like kittens in stockings, silly snowmen, sassy Santa’s, or caroling canines, look at the Goodwill Store and Donation Center near you to find the one (or two!) that is ideally suited to you and your party circuit. This is also your chance to get a little crazy with your Christmas couture, and no one will judge you for it! After all is said and done when you purchase an item from Goodwill, you’re really helping your community, and isn’t that what the holidays are all about?
This article is written by Goodwill Fashion Expert, Bjorn Nasett. Bjorn has a career that spans 30 years. He enjoys being a writer, wardrobe stylist, vintage and resale clothing expert, hair stylist, makeup artist and photographer! In his spare time he adopts senior dogs and strongly believes in pet adoption. Check out his website www.fashionfarmboy.com!
Watch Bjorn in action! ... See more videos featuring Bjorn (and more) on our AmazingGoodwill YouTube channel!
Stop by Six Flags Great America this holiday season for Holiday in the Park and enjoy lights, shows, thrilling coasters and so much more! Just make a purchase of $20 or more at a participating Goodwill Store & Donation Center November 23 through December 31 and receive a specially marked receipt. Bring your specially marked receipt to the Sales Center at Six Flags Great America and receive $30 off on up to four (4) single-day admissions to Holiday in the Park, some restrictions may apply.