Father’s Day is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate your dad than to make something special. If your father is the king of the grill, then a denim apron is the perfect gift. After all, he probably wears jeans all the time.
I purchased an extra-large pair of jeans at Goodwill for $4.99.
- Cut the inseam on both legs
- Turn pants inside out
- Using an old apron as a pattern cut away the extra leg fabric
- Make a straight cut at the back seam (you’re cutting off the curve)
- Sew the two pieces together
- Turn the piece right-side-out
- Cut off the front section of the jeans at the side seams
- Round off the bottom corners
- Sew a hem all the way around
- Make a bib for the apron from the front of the jeans by cutting off the pockets
- Hem the sides
- Pin and sew the bib to the bottom “skirt”
Make neck tie:
- Cut off the hem from the pant legs
- Pin and attach to the top of the bib
Make back ties:
- Cut 2-¼ in. strips from the left-over pant leg
- Fold in raw edges so they meet in the middle
- Fold in half again; pin, press and sew
- Attach to the apron at the sides
Dad has pockets for cooking gadgets and belt loops to hang pot holders and spatulas. It’s a grill master’s dream apron and you did it yourself.
Happy Father’s Day!