Look for a sweater with an allover design or pattern. For the back side, shop in the clothing department. Look for fabric that won’t stretch. I found a red bathrobe (lots of fabric!).
1. Draw a pattern on heavy card stock like an old manila folder. My stocking is 18” long by 10” wide at the foot. The mitten is 4” x 4 ½”. Your’s can be as big as you want.
2. Lay the pattern on the right side of the sweater, pin and cut out.
3. Cut out the back. If the backing fabric has a right and wrong side, be sure to turn the pattern over.
4. Sew the two pieces, right sides together.
5. Clip the curves.
6. Turn right side out.
7. Add a string or raffia loop to the corner for easy hanging.
Make the stocking the same as the mitten. I added a cuff from fake fur or fleece.
1. Cut a strip of fleece the width of the top of your stocking and add 2” for seam allowance by 3” high.
2. Hand-stitch the fleece to the top of the stocking, wrong sides together.
3. Fold the cuff down (the raw edges will be hidden by the cuff).
4. Add a string or raffia loop to hang from your chimney.
5. Fill with gifts!