Leave it to the designers at Nicholas K to bring all kinds of visual references to their Fall and Winter 2015 collection which bowed last February at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in NYC. Sometimes as viewers we may not see the ultimate wearability of some of these over-the-top ensembles. But, on closer inspection, you realize that designers want to give us ideas we can integrate into our own fashion choices. Not many people do literal takes on what they’ve seen on the runway. In other words, sometimes you just have to enjoy the view, and create your own take-away from what you’ve seen.
From the collection pictured here, my thoughts turn to Mad Max, Lawrence of Arabia, and other exotic films of different eras. The flowing gowns, leather accents, use of fur, oversized proportions of the garments mixed with more slim fitting pieces and, of course, the headgear.
What you could look for at Goodwill to attain this look:
- Fur-trimmed hats, hoods and helmets
- Oversize coats that flow, or can have other items layered over them
- Large scarves
- Sheer prints in neutral colors
- Vests that have some drape to them in faux suede, or fabric that can be layered over other items for a nomadic look
- Dresses and tops featuring leather accents and other hardware
- Sweaters and tops with a “distressed” quality to them
- Leather items and accessories