The Persians were the first people to make coats. “Coat” is also one of the first clothing category words in the English language. Later, coats were divided into over coats and under coats. Today an over coat would be considered a winter coat, and worn as the outermost layer. An under coat might now be considered a jacket or blazer, or it may even be referred to as a sport coat in men’s clothing terminology. But, no matter what you call it, a coat is the easiest way to look pulled together in a flash!
When I want to feel dressed up, but still casual, I always reach for a blazer or jacket to finish off my look. When I shop at Goodwill, I make a beeline to the coat and blazer racks first thing! A nice structure piece can add a touch of class to almost anything you would wear it with, and it can transition into spring as outerwear!
I asked my model, Julie, to come to our photo shoot wearing dark jeans and a black v-neck long sleeved t-shirt. This helps me show you just how many ways a coat, blazer or jacket can make those closet staples we all have into fantastic style! Check out all the great pieces I found at my local Goodwill store in the slideshow.
- Blanket coat #1 was $5.99 and is very stylish and on-trend right now with its rustic feel.
- Blanket coat #2 was also $5.99 and is also in style right now.
- Red velvet trench was a steal at $9.99.
- Green silk bomber is fun and fashionable for $4.99!
- Brown velvet blazer is sophisticated and polished for $6.99.
- Patchwork coat is funky and cool with one button closure for $5.99!