There’s a fashion formula that all the stars know, and you can too! I call it their “off-duty” look. I recently saw photos of Julia Roberts in Paris just casually strolling down the street while looking quite stylish. What was she wearing? A variation on a theme of menswear, that’s what. There are just a five elements you’ll need to pull this look together for yourself:
- Menswear blazer
- Distressed or boyfriend jeans
- Tennis shoes (white preferably)
- Accessories - such as sunglasses and handbag (I know that’s more than 5 but ...)
When they're combined with a discerning eye, these five easy pieces transform the wearer into a style icon—no matter where you go.
I asked my model friend, Julie, to step out in some items I pulled together from my local Goodwill, and then I photographed her paparazzi style on the street in my neighborhood. She looks casual, stylish, polished and fun too!
What she’s wearing:
- GAP 1969 boyfriend-style jeans, which were only $9.99
- T-shirt from Rock+Republic in classic stripes - $3.99
- The blazer is from the menswear department, (always look through menswear too when shopping at our stores) Perry Ellis brand - $6.99
- The cool pointy-toe tennis shoe slides in white by Mossimo - NWT (new with tags) $4.99
- Statement handbag in dusty blue and pewter/silver accents, Kathy Van Zealand brand - $4.99
- Sunglasses always look great, and at $2.99 you can’t leave home without them!
As you can see, with the right fashion ingredients women, and men for that matter, of all ages shapes and sizes can do a version of this type of look. That’s the genius thing about shopping at Goodwill, it allows you to try the trends in your own way and support our mission of providing localized community job training.